Big Berkey BK4X2 Countertop Water Filter Review:
- Includes Made in USA Tote Bag
- Purifies up to 3.5 gallons per hour
- Filter Life: Up to 3,000 gallons per filter element
- Holding Capacity: 2.1 Gallons
- Cleanable, Self-Sterilizing Filters
The Big Berkey is our most popular system mostly due to the fact that it’s a perfect size for 2-4 people. The Big Berkey system is constructed of highly polished 304 stainless steel and comes complete with 2 Black Berkey purification elements (expandable to 4), 2 chambers, lid, a spigot, rubber gasket base, and 2 blocking plugs. Up to 4 PF-2 Fluoride and Arsenic filters can be installed into the lower chamber.
The versatile Big Berkey system is the ideal system for use at home with small or medium sized families, travel, outdoor activities or during unexpected emergencies. This powerful system purifies both treated water and untreated raw water from such sources as remote lakes, streams, stagnant ponds and water supplies in foreign countries, where regulations may be substandard at best. Perfect for everyday use, outdoor activities and a must in hostile environments where electricity, water pressure or treated water may not be available.
The Big Berkey system removes pathogenic bacteria, cysts and parasites entirely and extracts harmful chemicals such as herbicides, pesticides, VOCs, organic solvents, radon 222 and trihalomethanes. It also reduces nitrates, nitrites and unhealthy minerals such as lead and mercury.
This system is so powerful it can remove food coloring from water without removing the beneficial minerals your body needs. Virtually no other system can duplicate this performance. Constructed of highly polished 304 stainless steel, the system comes complete with four purification elements and utilizes the latest technological advances.
This system has a storage capacity of about 2.25 gallons (8.5 liters) and when in use it stands 19.25″ in height with a diameter of 8.5″. The upper chamber nests within the lower chamber for transport and stands only 13″ in height. Configured with four Black Berkey purification elements the system will purify up to 7 Gallons (13.3 liters) per hour.
Our unfiltered tap water was generally acceptable by the lab with the following notable exceptions:
1. Arsenic: 2.5 parts per billion (ppb) – lab considered this reason for “caution”
2. Uranium 238: 3.1 ppb – also “caution”
3. Aluminum: 94 ppb – caution
4. Fluoride: 0.8 parts per million (ppm) – EPA has not established levels for this category
Here are our results with the Big Berkey (using 2 black filters and 2 fluoride/arsenic filters):
1. Arsenic: less than 1 ppb – lab considers “acceptable”
2. Uranium 238: less than 1 ppb – acceptable
3. Aluminum: 19 ppb – acceptable
4. Fluoride: 0.4 ppm (I wonder if we used 4 fluoride filters instead of 2 if the fluoride would be removed completely)
Items of note, the lab that tested the water is a professional lab (not a home kit) and there are three levels of interpretation: acceptable (safe), caution (consider filtering) and unacceptable (contact municipality and consider alternative sources). The lab uses ICP-MS method to test the water.
Big Berkey BK4X2 Countertop Water Filter deals:
Big Berkey BK4X2 Countertop Water Filter Review scores
Big Berkey BK4X2 Countertop Water Filter- 2 Black Berkey Elements and 2 Fluoride Filters bundled with Berkey Blue Waterbottle
- Easy to setup and use
- Easy to fill & refill with water
- Filters your water & tastes great (most of the time)
- Easy to clean out
- Water tastes great
- Relatively expensive.
- Slow to filter water.